Dr. Travis Wilder was the 7th CHSS Kirklin-Ashburn Fellow. Dr. Wilder is a fourth-year general surgery resident at the University of California at San Diego. He completed his Bachelor of Science at The University of Arizona and MD at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans. Dr. Wilder’s previous experience includes research in the areas of neurophysiology, and cardiac electrophysiology. While in medical school he worked closely with Dr. Shaun Setty who sparked his interest in congenital heart surgery and helped him publish an article in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. For the Kirklin-Ashburn Fellowship, Dr. Wilder was recommended by Dr. Lamberti. He also gives great thanks and appreciation to his mentor in CT surgery at UCSD, Dr. Eugene Golts, and his faculty advisor, Dr. Allen Hemming.
During his two-year fellowship, Travis authored nine papers and twelve abstracts. He presented at nine meetings and won the ‘Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Outstanding Research Award in Pediatric Cardiology’ at the 2014 American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, as well as being awarded the highest ranked abstract submitted from Canada to the 2015 American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions. Travis obtained his Masters in Statistics at the University of Toronto in the Institute of Medical Sciences. He now plans to pursue a career in pediatric cardiovascular surgery.
- Wilder TJ, Ziemer G, Hickey EJ, Gruber PJ, Karamlou T, Kirshbom PM, Blackstone EH, DeCampli WM, Williams WG, McCrindle BW. Surgical management of competing pulmonary blood flow affects survival before Fontan/Kreutzer completion in patients with tricuspid atresia type I. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Nov;150(5):1222-30.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2015.05.067. Epub 2015 Jun 6.
- Wilder TJ, McCrindle BW, Phillips AB, Blackstone EH, Rajeswaran J, Williams WG, DeCampli WM, Jacobs JP, Jacobs ML, Karamlou T, Kirshbom PM, Lofland GK, Ziemer G, Hickey EJ. Survival and right ventricular performance for matched children after stage-1 Norwood: Modified Blalock-Taussig shunt versus right-ventricle-to-pulmonary-artery conduit. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015 Dec;150(6):1440-1452.
- Wilder TJ, McCrindle BW, Hickey EJ, DeCampli WM, Williams WG, Caldarone CA, Blackstone EH. Making sense of longitudinal data: changes in ventricular function in babies with a functional single ventricle. World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery 4th Scientific Meeting. São Paulo, Brazil, July 2014.
- Wilder TJ, Ziemer G, Hickey EJ, Gruber PJ, Karamlou T, Kirshbom PM, Blackstone EH, DeCampli WM, Williams WG, McCrindle BW. Surgical management of competing pulmonary blood flow influences survival before fontan operation in children with tricuspid atresia. European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 28th Annual Meeting. Milan, Italy. October 2014.
- Wilder TJ, Hickey EJ, Ziemer G, Tchervenkov CI, Jacobs ML, Gruber PJ, Blackstone EH, McCrindle BW, Williams WG, DeCampli WM, Caldarone CA, Pizzaro C. Hybrid Alternatives to Norwood Stage-1 May Not Be a Lower Risk Alternative. American Heart Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2014.
- Wilder TJ, McCrindle BW, Phillips A, Blackstone EH, Jeevanantham R, Williams WG, DeCampli WM, Jacobs JP, Jacobs ML, Karamlou T, Kirshbom PM, Lofland GK, Ziemer G, Hickey EJ. Late survival and RV performance in matched children after Norwood: Norwood-BT vs Norwood-Sano. 95th American Association for Thoracic Surgery Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, 2015.